Saturday, January 1, 2011

My Thoughts - Winter Classic: vs. Caps (L 3-1)


-I was really disappointed with this game for a variety of different reasons. The least of those is Pens losing. The weather and the ice were terrible and the camera angles NBC had made me dizzy. In fact, I’m still dizzy. Anyway, back to the ice. I said this morning that the NHL would not let its most prized possessions (Sid and Ovi) play on anything less than adequate ice. Boy, was I wrong. As a result of the camera angles, I had a hard time deciphering who was who. It’ll be tough to do my usual analysis and I’m sure others will have differing opinions because the camera angles were so sporadic.

-First off, there seems to be a lot of belly aching over the refs. Besides the blatant interference on Sid, I thought it was a well officiated game. Both “no goal” calls were good and both teams had calls let go as well.

-Speaking of the interference on Sid, I was shocked that none of the Pens responded. Maybe they didn’t see it (it was behind the play), but I its still surprising to me. The Caps did a pretty good job on him over all. He created a lot of good things and was pretty good on cycles, but the Caps did well getting sticks in his lane. The bad ice could’ve been a factor into that as well. I’ll be biting my nails hoping that he didn’t play the third period with a concussion. I think he’s okay, and I’m fairly certain that the training staff checked him out but, if I’m not mistaken, concussion symptoms can come a little later than you would think.

-It would be easy to blame Flower for the loss, but you just can’t. The ice conditions definitely played a role in that big miscue he had. Other than that one mistake, he really did have a good game. He kept the Pens in it. And it’s not like the Pens deserved to win either. The team that played the better game won it.

-Even with limited ice time, Staal looked good in his return. Any lack of speed that he may have had, was made up for with size. It’s great to have him back. That being said, Staal’s addition definitely messed with the lines and the chemistry the team had. There were never steady lines throughout the game and I think it showed.

-Malkin was easily the best player for the Pens. He didn’t create a whole lot of chances but he got a bunch and, in a slow game that this turned into, he was really galloping out there. I hope (I really do) that this is what Geno looks like with Staal.

-Michalek quietly (how else does this guy work?) had a very nice game defensively.

-Ovechkin was pretty much shut down. If anyone tries to tell you Ovi had a better game than Sid, they’re liars. Ocho was completely neutralized, while Sid had great chances and made some good plays.

-Martin was the guy who let Fehr get past him for a break away. My assessment: a defensemen of Paul’s caliber can’t let that happen. What makes me really upset was the fact that he was just watching the puck instead of preparing to make a play. Terrible.

-Letang and Orpik both had decent games. Tanger got some good shots off and Orpik saves a goal.

-The “new” third line with Talbot, TK, and Letestu was easily our best line. I think Conner comes back next game.

-Talbot had two or three really, really good chances that he didn’t bury. Ugghh.

-I hate calling it this, but this whole game was pretty much a joke. I want to be gentler, but I don’t know how else to put it.

-No one should be surprised to see any of the players come down with colds in a few days.

-Whatever. TB on Wednesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment